First Blog?
Image Source by pixelcreatures via Pixabay
I have never had a blog before; therefore, I am very new to blogging, soo new I was unaware there were different types of blogs. I was not aware that websites like Billboard, People Magazine, and the Rolling Stone were considered blogs. The only blog that I was aware was a blog is PerezHilton's blog. Since I am unfamiliar with blogs and different styles of blogs, I am going to look at two widely different blogs and use them to broaden my knowledge. I will use them to get an idea about what I’d like my blog to be like; they will also be used in helping me find what I like and dislike about those specific blogs, I am hoping to use them to better my hand at my own blog.
Billboard
The first blog I am looking at will be Billboard; this website/blog focuses on music and things related to music. The Billboard website is easy to navigate, and the article formats make it concise and easy to follow. Both author’s use professional language in both articles, this lends to the consistency of the article. The content in the article and how the article is presented is very organized and consistent with their other articles. The author is writing with the purpose to inform its audience, as evidenced in both articles about Usher's Halftime Show and about Michael Jackson's Catalog. Both articles are also written using only a few images, this feels like it is making the content of the article the focus rather than images. The articles share a use of quite a few hyperlinks, these links do take you to relevant information regarding the main topic of the article.
I did like how the use of a one image really put the focus onto the essence of the article. I feel like the writing is the most important part of this website and a blog. Another thing I liked was the content was very factual and straight to the point. There is no convoluted preamble before getting to the main topic of the article. One thing that I did not like was what I feel like was an excessive use of hyperlinks, it made it distracting to read the articles.
PerezHilton
Image Source by kaboompics via Pixabay
The second blog I am looking at is PerezHilton blog; this blog focuses on celebrity news and conversation pieces. The PerezHilton website is semi easy to follow; the articles are formatted similarly, however, it does not feel very consistent. The articles are formatted similar to each other by stating the main topic of the article at the very top and uses the rest of the article to show supports for the main topic. This blog unlike Billboard uses casual language, which is exhibited by using slang, and abbreviations. The content is these articles are not organized consistently with the other articles on the blog. The author of this blog is writing to inform its audience, as shown in the Usher's Halftime Performance article, and possibly to analyze with its audience, as shown in the Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl article. The uses of images and tweets compared to the Billboard articles are drastic. Much of the article is used as space for images, or tweets, the actual writing is a little less than a paragraph.
I dislike how the articles are formatted. It does not feel very consistent with the other pieces written. Another thing I disliked about the blog was the length of the written portion in the articles. I feel like it was too short to be substantial enough to be a complete article. However, I did like that you could easily notice the personality within the articles, unfortunately it might have been too much at times.
Final Thoughts
To conclude with this journey, I have found what I would like to include in this blog and what I would like to exclude. A few positive things I took away from this was I’d like my blog to feel consistent and organized and include pictures that look great. I would like to avoid having a blog post be as short as or shorter than a paragraph and use casual language in my posts. Please let me know if you agree with my findings or feel that I missed something while reviewing these blogs. I hope I am able to accurately implement these into my blog.


Comments
Post a Comment