Hello. Hallo. Hola. 안녕하세요.
There are an endless number of hobbies and skills one can learn in the 21st century, these could be something simple or complicated for some. For me, one thing that I love doing and learning about is learning new languages; I am currently learning the Korean language. There are a various number of ways one can start learning a new language, today, I will be going over some that have helped me in my journey of learning a new language.
The Use of TV Shows and Music
One thing that has really helped me became familiar with and acclimatize myself with my target language is watching and exposing myself to the language via tv shows/ movies and through listening to music in the target language.
There are numerous ways to watch shows/movies that are in your target language. The benefits of watching a show/movie are vast, the act of just listening to your target language is a good way to become familiar with the sounds used in it, it can also help you familiarize yourself with words and their meanings. There is a website, Lingopie, that offers that ability to learn languages through the use of subtitles and through the use of a Netflix account.
Music is also a unique way to learn languages in the 21st century. I feel like in the present climate people are way more exposed to other cultures and languages than before. That was how I was exposed to the Korean language and culture and how I came to the decision to start learning Korean. It was the simple fact that I liked the music and wanted to understand what the song was about, so I researched about translations of the lyrics. There are websites like Genius that offer translated versions of the songs you’re interested in translating. By breaking down a song and its lyrics it can help your language learning by strengthening your listening skills and ability to distinguish words you know or are familiar with; singing the songs can also help with your pronunciation.
Technology and Learning Languages
I’m sure you have heard of many apps that can help teach you a new language like Duolingo, and Rosetta Stone. These apps break down the content into bite-sized lessons that can be learned and completed in a few minutes to less than an hour. While they are not perfect these apps do offer good starting points for learning your target language. Rosetta Stone does help teach you how to speak like a native speaker and gives you feedback when using the app. These apps have helped me progress in my target language by teaching me new vocabulary and proper pronunciation.
Final Thoughts
These are just a few options available in the 21st century that have helped me progress in learning the Korean language. Have you ever used any of these technique and apps to learn a new language? If so, what language have you learned? I hope this will be useful in your journey in learning a new language. Good luck!


Alyna, your tips on learning a new language were fantastic and have truly sparked my motivation to reengage with my fourth language, Italian. I appreciate the inspiration and can't wait to immerse myself in the learning process once again.
ReplyDeleteHi Alyna, I've actually used Lingopie before! I would watch it while I was at my previous job. The only downside and reason I unsubscribed was just how small the catalog was of translated material was. It was mainly just a lot of documentaries that were translated, and there was like one cartoon which was a kids show about a penguin I believe. I never really gave Duolingo a chance, but I may try now.
ReplyDeleteHi Alyna! This blog turned out to be great! I love the idea of speaking different languages, I even was obsessed with using Duolingo for a long time. It takes a lot of work to learn a new language, but in the end, I believe that it is worth it. I look forward to reading more of your blogs!
ReplyDelete