My Language Learning Journey
Since I briefly touched on my hobby of learning the Korean language in my last blog post, I figured I can go further in depth for you and explain why I am learning this language and other methods I am using besides the ones mentioned in the last post. Hopefully, this can help you either start learning a language or try any of methods I used to help you on your own journey.
First Introduction to Korea
Image Source by Viarami via Pixabay
The first time I was introduced to the Korean language was in 2012 when PSY’s “Gangnam Style” was everywhere and was being constantly played on the radio. However, it did not catch my attention at the time, and I was not aware it was even in Korean. The next time it caught my attention was in 2014-2015, I was browsing YouTube and was introduced once again to Korean music, I was shown artists such as BTS, GOT7, and EXO. I was captivated by the type of music these artists were making and I had spent some time looking into translations for the lyrics. Then I stumbled upon Korean dramas; this was the main reason why I wanted to learn the Korean language. I was enamored by the various types of dramas available and the emotion it could pull out of me. I, then, spent more time watching and enjoying Korean dramas and movies than I did listening to Korean music.
The main reason as to why I am learning this language is because I wanted to know what the songs meant and what they actors in the shows I was watching were saying. It is also a goal of mine to visit Korea one day, and I hope that if/when I do get the chance to visit, I am able to converse with the locals. However, even I don’t get the chance to visit, I feel like it is a very cool language to learn. Fun fact: The Korean alphabet is considered one of the easiest to learn!
Even though my first introduction to the Korean language was insignificant to me at the time, a further experience allowed my interest grown into a wonderful desire to learn. I hope that by explaining how I first came across the Korean language; this will show you to give new things a second chance.
Learning Process
When I first started learning the Korean language, I was not actively trying to learn the language. Mainly I was watching Korean shows and listening to Korean music and without realizing it I had started picking up on words and sounds they frequently used. Eventually it became clear to me that I wanted to learn this language, and the first step I had taken was watching YouTube videos about expats who lived in Korea and were also learning the language.
The first YouTuber I remember watching was Megan Bowen (currently Megan Moon) and listened to her speak of her journey about living in Korea and the cultural differences she faced, as well as her journey though learning Korean and how she did it. In one of her videos’, she recommended using TalkToMeInKorean textbooks and their website to start learning Korean as well as using RosettaStone.
The main way I was learning Korean was through the TalkToMeInKorean website. At the time I was unable to buy the textbooks but fortunately they have lessons available for free on their website as well as audio files for practicing your listening skills and pronunciation skills. I spent at least two hours every other day working on my Korean lessons as well as watching Korean shows/movies and listening to Korean music in between my lessons. I made that my routine for a few months before being unable to keep it up, however, I continue to watch Korean shows and listen to Korean music to this day.
Final Thoughts
I hope through this you were able to learn more about myself and the often-difficult process of learning a new language. Please let me know if any of this was useful to you, and if you are also either learning a new language or if this process was similar to your own.


Alyna--Your blog is looking really great so far. Engaging layout and format. Clear voice and authentic tone. Personable and thoughtful. Interesting topics and content. Great work! Keep doing all of this!
ReplyDelete