Skip to main content

Entry #4 Mass Effect Trilogy

 Welcome Aboard the Normandy!


Just this past weekend, I finished a playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, and I would like to review my experience playing and what I thought about the nearly decade-old game. If you are unfamiliar with the Mass Effect games, it is a video game based in the distant future in the Milky Way galaxy where you play as a human, Commander Shepard, in the earth’s military forces. Due to a series of events, you must work with other alien races to save the galaxy from the trilogy’s villains, whose goal is to eradicate the human and alien races. The Mass Effect trilogy, which was first released in 2007 and then remastered in 2021, is a third-person shooter game that has roleplaying elements where your relationships with the other characters are important and entangled with the main storyline. I would like to go over aspects of the games that I liked and disliked; maybe at the end of this blog, you may decide to give it a try or another try if you have already played it. 

Aspects I liked 


While I admit that when I first started playing the trilogy, it took a while to capture my interest, as I continued playing, I became enraptured by the storytelling aspects and the focus the game placed on the relationships. In these games, you are Commander Shepard, which means you must make decisions that can have a lasting impact on the story throughout all three games. The relationships you have with the other characters also affect your playthrough, whether for good or bad. 

Although these aspects make the game feel more meaningful and allow endless replayability, I am a bit biased because I enjoy choice-driven games. Choice-driven games have a way of being able to pull you into the world that is being created and make the choices feel momentous to the player. The version of the game I played was the Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I was able to import the character I made from the first game throughout the others, and all the choices I had previously made were also carried over. 

Another aspect of the game that I enjoyed was the focus it placed on your relationships with other characters. Your relationships with your crewmates also affect the main storyline and the characters themselves. The fate of the other characters at the end of the trilogy depends on the choices made throughout the game. The main character, the player-controlled character, and the crewmates may even meet tragic ends, depending on the choices previously made. 

Aspects I disliked 

On the other hand, there were elements of the game I did not enjoy, those being that the controls for each game were changing and some of the choices were phrased differently than what the main character said when chosen. It felt like the controls were changing every game; after you got used to the controls in the first game, they changed in the second, and so on. The changes made the game feel a bit off-balance and disorientating during the change from the first game to the second game. In the first and second games, the choices were often not very clear about what would be said if you chose that option. These elements made my gaming experience feel odd and unenjoyable at times. 

Final Thoughts 

To conclude my review of the Mass Effect trilogy, the aspects of the game I enjoyed were the storytelling elements the game made by having the player make important decisions throughout the games and the emphasis that was placed on relationships with the characters within the game. The aspects of the game I disliked were the controls changing every game, and the choices were not always clear in meaning. I would love to know if you have played this trilogy before and your thoughts on it; did you agree or disagree with my review? If not, I hope this will help you decide to give the game a chance!

Comments

  1. I found that your passion for the game is really cool and I'm gonna go check it out now. it sounded very interesting and challenging and I've never heard of a game that plays like this, it's really cool.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Alyna, your review of the Mass Effect trilogy captures the essence of the gaming experience with succinct clarity. Your appreciation for the narrative depth and the significance of player choice speaks to the immersive quality of the games. It’s interesting to note your mixed feelings about the evolving controls and dialogue options, highlighting the importance of consistency and clear communication in gameplay. Your candid take invites a shared dialogue, prompting both newcomers and seasoned players to reflect on their own experiences with the trilogy. Whether one agrees or disagrees with your perspective, your blog certainly paves the way for an intriguing discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #5 Mayhem

Mayhem  Today, we will be looking at analyzing an Allstate commercial where mayhem is wreaking havoc on others. In this post, I will be focusing on the purpose of the advertisement and the design elements of the advertisement. I think it is an immensely useful tool to analyze the media you are consuming, whether that is media you are consciously choosing to indulge in or unconsciously consuming, like advertisements.  Purpose  The purpose of the Mayhem Promposal advertisement beyond its need to sell its product is to promote being prepared for the unexpected by showcasing examples of where things can happen out of your control. This is shown in the Promposal advertisement when Mayhem has seemingly affected the wind, which then causes the house to be set on fire. It shows that the unexpected can happen at any time, and it is better to have some sort of protection that can help you after an unfortunate event.  Design  The main thing you see when the advertisement ...

Entry #2 Learning Languages Part 2

My Language Learning Journey Since I briefly touched on my hobby of learning the Korean language in my last blog post, I figured I can go further in depth for you and explain why I am learning this language and other methods I am using besides the ones mentioned in the last post. Hopefully, this can help you either start learning a language or try any of methods I used to help you on your own journey.  First Introduction to Korea Image Source by Viarami via Pixabay The first time I was introduced to the Korean language was in 2012 when PSY’s “ Gangnam Style ” was everywhere and was being constantly played on the radio. However, it did not catch my attention at the time, and I was not aware it was even in Korean. The next time it caught my attention was in 2014-2015, I was browsing YouTube and was introduced once again to Korean music, I was shown artists such as BTS, GOT7, and EXO. I was captivated by the type of music these artists were making and I had spent some time looking in...

Entry #8 Farming Simulators

Farming Simulators  Recently, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time playing farming simulator games. Before playing Stardew Valley, I had never actually played a farming simulator before, so I thought in this post I could introduce the two main farming simulators I am currently playing, which are Stardew Valley and Coral Island.   Stardew Valley  Image Source via Stardew Valley Stardew Valley is an open RPG (role-playing game) developed by Eric Barone, aka ConcernedApe, and was released in 2016. In this game, the player inherits a farm from their grandfather; the player can either live off the land while helping to restore the town to greatness. It also receives continuous updates to the game; just recently, the game was updated to version 1.6; this update implemented many fixes, visual improvements, and new features and content. This game is extrem...