Skip to main content

Entry #5 Mayhem

Mayhem 


Today, we will be looking at analyzing an Allstate commercial where mayhem is wreaking havoc on others. In this post, I will be focusing on the purpose of the advertisement and the design elements of the advertisement. I think it is an immensely useful tool to analyze the media you are consuming, whether that is media you are consciously choosing to indulge in or unconsciously consuming, like advertisements. 

Purpose 

The purpose of the Mayhem Promposal advertisement beyond its need to sell its product is to promote being prepared for the unexpected by showcasing examples of where things can happen out of your control. This is shown in the Promposal advertisement when Mayhem has seemingly affected the wind, which then causes the house to be set on fire. It shows that the unexpected can happen at any time, and it is better to have some sort of protection that can help you after an unfortunate event. 

Design 

The main thing you see when the advertisement starts is a person, Mayhem, lying on the ground with candles on their body. That picture itself is an accident waiting to happen and foreshadows the misfortunate accident. The advertisement is portrayed as an accident for the family, who cannot see Mayhem and think it was just an unlucky accident. The last thing you see in the advertisement is Mayhem walking away unscathed from this incident, which shows that the family is the only one affected by this incident. 

Final Thoughts 

This has been a brief analysis of the Mayhem Promposal advertisement, where I touched on the purpose of the ad and the design aspects. Please let me know if you agree or disagree with my analysis.

Comments


  1. Alyna, your analysis of the Mayhem Promposal ad is sharp and thought-provoking. You've keenly unpacked the ad's intent to show the value of readiness amidst chaos. The design critique, noting Mayhem's candle-laden portrayal, adeptly foreshadows the imminent chaos, highlighting the unpredictable nature of mishaps. Your commentary invites readers to engage critically with media, to dissect and question the overt and covert messages we're served daily. It’s a compelling reminder of the power of advertisements to shape our perceptions of security and risk. I appreciate your call for dialogue at the end, fostering a shared space for reflection and discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyna you did a good job in analyzing the commercial and it helped me understand where the producers are coming from, Your analysis challenges readers to analyze and evaluate the overt and covert messages we are exposed to on a daily basis, as well as to interact critically with the media. It serves as a powerful reminder of how commercials can influence how we perceive risk and security. I value the way you encouraged discussion at the end, creating a forum for mutual introspection and discussion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #2 Learning Languages Part 2

My Language Learning Journey Since I briefly touched on my hobby of learning the Korean language in my last blog post, I figured I can go further in depth for you and explain why I am learning this language and other methods I am using besides the ones mentioned in the last post. Hopefully, this can help you either start learning a language or try any of methods I used to help you on your own journey.  First Introduction to Korea Image Source by Viarami via Pixabay The first time I was introduced to the Korean language was in 2012 when PSY’s “ Gangnam Style ” was everywhere and was being constantly played on the radio. However, it did not catch my attention at the time, and I was not aware it was even in Korean. The next time it caught my attention was in 2014-2015, I was browsing YouTube and was introduced once again to Korean music, I was shown artists such as BTS, GOT7, and EXO. I was captivated by the type of music these artists were making and I had spent some time looking in...

Entry #8 Farming Simulators

Farming Simulators  Recently, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time playing farming simulator games. Before playing Stardew Valley, I had never actually played a farming simulator before, so I thought in this post I could introduce the two main farming simulators I am currently playing, which are Stardew Valley and Coral Island.   Stardew Valley  Image Source via Stardew Valley Stardew Valley is an open RPG (role-playing game) developed by Eric Barone, aka ConcernedApe, and was released in 2016. In this game, the player inherits a farm from their grandfather; the player can either live off the land while helping to restore the town to greatness. It also receives continuous updates to the game; just recently, the game was updated to version 1.6; this update implemented many fixes, visual improvements, and new features and content. This game is extrem...