Fresh
Recently, I watched a documentary named Fresh, which focuses on showcasing the ways it is possible to achieve sustainability in agriculture. This topic is something I have never really thought of before. At most, I knew food was farmed but never how it was farmed. After watching this film, I thought I could explore the purpose of the film and go deeper into why this matters.
Purpose
Image Source by congerdesign via Pixabay
This film is trying to persuade its viewers that it is possible to make the change to sustainable agriculture rather than continue using industrialized agriculture, and in making the change, it is healthier for everyone involved. An example of the film arguing for sustainable agriculture is an interview with Andrew Kimbrell, an Executive Director at the Center for Food Safety, who states that a medium organic farm is more productive than the current industrialized agriculture practices. Another example is an interview with Professor John Ikerd, an agriculture economist, who states that the current industrialized agriculture industry is facing negative consequences by being obsessed with productivity, such as animals catching various diseases, sanitation problems, and crops possibly exhibiting resistance to the pesticides and herbicides used. This idea is further driven by an interview with Michael Pollan, an author and journalist who claims that the industrialization of food has made it less nutritious. According to a study done by Donald Davis and researchers from the University of Texas (UT), nutrients and vitamins in our food were shown to have diminished by 40% over the past century. I believe this study further promotes the film’s purpose, which is that making the change from industrialized agriculture methods will result in healthier opportunities for everyone, from farmers to consumers.
Why does this matter?
I think this film has shown that the current industrialization of farming is not working. From the animals to the crops, both are catching diseases that could potentially wipe out the batch. Russ Kremer, a natural hog farmer, started his first farm following the industrialized guidelines for farming by injecting antibodies into the hogs and keeping them in confined quarters. As a result, the hogs contracted numerous diseases; according to Kremer, he spent more time treating them than anything else. After experiencing this, Kremer decided to follow sustainable agriculture guidelines, and consequently, he had not had any sick pigs on his farm in over 14 years at the time of filming. Even though this was filmed in 2009, I believe it is still relevant because I am not aware if there have been any major changes in the agriculture industry.
Final Thoughts
I believe this film does a great job of persuading its viewers to think more about the food they eat and where it comes from, and I would recommend watching it. I have certainly thought more about the food I am consuming and where I should buy it to support those who practice sustainable agriculture. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this topic, especially if you have learned something new.


Comments
Post a Comment