Skip to main content

Entry #9 Food Insecurity

Food Insecurity 

 
In my English class, we are currently working on writing a persuasive essay about any topic involving food. For my essay, I chose to write about food insecurity and government solutions. To further explore the topic, I thought this post could explore and dive into an article regarding food insecurity.  

Thoughts/Feelings


This article by the Equal Justice Initiative regarding the rising food insecurity in America is very compelling in informing the reader why this is a serious problem that needs solutions. Using statistics from the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) to present the severity of the issue was certainly clever by showcasing how the government itself knows this is an issue affecting millions.  

It was very interesting to me how the article pointed out that as government assistance programs get cut or lose the funding they had during the pandemic, food insecurity and poverty have considerably risen. The article mentions a survey done by the Census Bureau that found that from September to October, over 27 million people reported experiencing food insecurity, which was up 9.5% since the start of 2023. 

I chose to share this article because this is an issue I feel very strongly about. I have personal experience with food insecurity. For nearly my entire life, my family has been on government assistance, and there were still times when we would have to go to the food banks or to churches to receive food to make it through the month. I think more people need to be aware of this issue and the fact that millions are experiencing this including children and elders. Everyone deserves access to healthy and nutritious food.

Relevancy 


I feel this article touches on an extremely relevant issue that is currently affecting millions of Americans. The statistics the article cites were from 2022 to 2023, which indicates this issue is not going away with the current assistance programs or policies the government currently has. The rising statistics are very concerning because this issue affects everyone, especially children; it affects their health, their relationship with food, and their relationship with the government. 

Recently, the government was able to agree upon essentially a TikTok ban reasonably quickly, but they have not agreed to rectify this issue that is affecting millions. I believe the government could do more if they acted with the same speed as drawing up effectively a censorship bill, that is, the TikTok ban, to help Americans who are experiencing food insecurity.  

Final Thoughts

I believe this article is a good starting point for educating people about food insecurity and how many people in America are affected by it. There is this article by NBC, which expands more on assistance programs and their uncertainty in 2024. I do hope this post was informative about this prevalent issue many are facing. Do you think the government is doing enough for Americans experiencing this issue? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #5 Mayhem

Mayhem  Today, we will be looking at analyzing an Allstate commercial where mayhem is wreaking havoc on others. In this post, I will be focusing on the purpose of the advertisement and the design elements of the advertisement. I think it is an immensely useful tool to analyze the media you are consuming, whether that is media you are consciously choosing to indulge in or unconsciously consuming, like advertisements.  Purpose  The purpose of the Mayhem Promposal advertisement beyond its need to sell its product is to promote being prepared for the unexpected by showcasing examples of where things can happen out of your control. This is shown in the Promposal advertisement when Mayhem has seemingly affected the wind, which then causes the house to be set on fire. It shows that the unexpected can happen at any time, and it is better to have some sort of protection that can help you after an unfortunate event.  Design  The main thing you see when the advertisement ...

Entry #2 Learning Languages Part 2

My Language Learning Journey Since I briefly touched on my hobby of learning the Korean language in my last blog post, I figured I can go further in depth for you and explain why I am learning this language and other methods I am using besides the ones mentioned in the last post. Hopefully, this can help you either start learning a language or try any of methods I used to help you on your own journey.  First Introduction to Korea Image Source by Viarami via Pixabay The first time I was introduced to the Korean language was in 2012 when PSY’s “ Gangnam Style ” was everywhere and was being constantly played on the radio. However, it did not catch my attention at the time, and I was not aware it was even in Korean. The next time it caught my attention was in 2014-2015, I was browsing YouTube and was introduced once again to Korean music, I was shown artists such as BTS, GOT7, and EXO. I was captivated by the type of music these artists were making and I had spent some time looking in...

Entry #8 Farming Simulators

Farming Simulators  Recently, I’ve spent a considerable amount of time playing farming simulator games. Before playing Stardew Valley, I had never actually played a farming simulator before, so I thought in this post I could introduce the two main farming simulators I am currently playing, which are Stardew Valley and Coral Island.   Stardew Valley  Image Source via Stardew Valley Stardew Valley is an open RPG (role-playing game) developed by Eric Barone, aka ConcernedApe, and was released in 2016. In this game, the player inherits a farm from their grandfather; the player can either live off the land while helping to restore the town to greatness. It also receives continuous updates to the game; just recently, the game was updated to version 1.6; this update implemented many fixes, visual improvements, and new features and content. This game is extrem...